What are Meramec Valley’s
deck or porch installation requirements?
- Any deck 30 inches above the ground must have a 36-inch guardrail with VERTICAL slats or spindles with a maximum 4 inch spacing.
- Landings incorporated in with steps or at the bottom of steps must be 3 feet by 3 feet.
- Riser maximum is 8 1/4 inches.
- Tread depth is minimum 9 inches.
- Risers should not exceed 3/16 of an inch difference between adjacent steps and no more
that 3/8 of an inch difference between any two in a complete set.
- Guardrail / handrail combinations must be between 36 and 42 inches above the leading
edge of a step.
- Guardrails / handrails must be used for steps 30 inches above the ground and must block both sides of a set of steps if both sides are Open. (If one side of the steps is adjacent to the wall of a building then that would be considered enough.)