Here are seven easy things you can do to save money on air conditioning / electrical costs:
- Replace filters every three months. Clean filters reduce fan pressure, requiring less energy.
- Make sure the area around the unit is free of grass clippings, leaves, and other debris.
- Operate with fan switch on “auto”, instead of the ‘on’ position so that the fan runs only when the compressor runs.
- A programmable thermostat set slightly higher during off-hours can save up to 10% in cooling costs a year.
- Draw shades, hopefully insulated shades, especially on the southern facing windows to minimize the amount of hot sunlight entering the room.
- Use efficient lighting such as LED lights that do not give off excessive heat.
- Ceiling fans can reduce the need for AC, resulting in a potential 15 percent savings.
An annual inspection by a licensed technician can further reduce your risk of lost business, repair and energy costs. A technician will:
- Check electrical connections for looseness, and signs of moisture, damage or corrosion.
- Recommend a power protection device to protect the unit from brownouts, power surges or lightning.
- Check lubricating oil in the compressor’s crankcase heater.
- Check that the condenser is clean and surrounding area is free of vegetation, trash and stored materials. A dirty unit can increase power consumption by 10%.
- Keep surfaces of the cooling coils clean with filters.
- Check for proper refrigerant levels.
For more information about Meramec Valley,
or to find an agent near you, visit