DROP, COVER, and HOLD ON
First of all, take cover, remain calm, and prepare for aftershocks.
If you are INSIDE when you feel the shaking:
- Drop down onto your hands and knees so the earthquake does not knock you down.
- Get as low as possible to the floor.
- Cover your head and neck with a pillow
- Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls and anything that could fall such as light fixtures or furniture.
- Hold on to any furniture or item of stability
If you are OUTSIDE when you feel the shaking:
- Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires; anything that can fall on you.
If you are in a MOVING VEHICLE when you feel the shaking:
- Stop as quickly and safely as possible and stay in your vehicle.
- Do NOT stop under overpasses, trees, utility poles, or any object that can fall on you.
For more information on how to ensure you’re prepared for an earthquake check out FEMAs Organization for Earthquake Playbook.
For more information about Meramec Valley,
or to find an agent near you, visit